Wednesday, November 23, 2011

#277 Something About You (Me)

This photo says three things about me.
  1. "It Is Well with My Soul" is my favorite hymn and there are instructions to sing it at my funeral.
  2. There are four hymnals in the photo. The rest of the collection (all different) is in a box in the garage. Why do we have so many hymnals? For some reason, at one time I thought it was important. Neither my husband nor I play piano, so that isn't it. We have become attached to them so they haven't been given to someone who could actually use them - yet.
  3. I have been singing since I was a child and have an ear for harmony. My mother taught me to look for the alto notes and if that fails, listen for the piano (or guitar) harmony. Sometimes I can make up my own harmony without doing much damage to the original. I love to sing along to recorded music and have been known to join in (hopefully quietly to myself) during public performances. I try not to be too intrusive. Not all churches have choirs but I still enjoy the harmony voices of the hymns during congregation singing. I remember a pastor say that the hymnal should be one of every Christian's collection of important books along with the Bible and prayer book. (By the way, I'm not a great singer and don't do solos. I just make a joyful noise.)
Just a little something about me.

4 comments:

  1. There's something so joyful about singing. Glad you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Singing is one of the gifts I was not given . . . so I doubly enjoy the singing of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing something so personal - hope the song isn't going to be sung for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so admire those who can sing harmony. I'm lucky to be able to sing the melody! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete