Sunday, September 4, 2011

#343 Unforgettable

Even with a bit of saturation, the colors are still not as vivid as in person. The view from the Red Canyon Visitor's Center on the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area took my breath away. Even after all the colorful Colorado mountain vistas, this was unforgettable.
The canyon is 1,700 feet deep. The Green River reservoir fills about 250 of it. The red tone in the foreground fills the canyon walls although they look blue/purple in the photo.
I had expected the Flaming Gorge to be similar to Lake Mead and Lake Powell. How wrong I was! I'm sure it's hot on some days but this overcast, sprinkle-y day in August was gorgeous AND there is a lot more vegetation than at the Arizona reservoirs. Where is my houseboat when I need it! We followed the highway north to the beginning of the reservoir which is much flatter and located in Wyoming. Headed home!

5 comments:

  1. That does look like an unforgettable scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes unforgettable and frame-able.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sense of isolation and the colors combined w/ the river! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So stunning! I'm always amazed at the tenacity of the trees when they grow out of a tiny little crack and endure such weather...and flourish!

    ReplyDelete