Friday, May 20, 2011

#306 The Letter E

An easy one and a half mile walk on a paved trail led me to this spot to view the EVEL Knievel Snake River Canyon jump site. It was his second choice for a canyon jump as the government would not let him try the Grand Canyon. The jump took place on September 8, 1974 but was unsuccessful as the parachute deployed too early. He landed in the canyon on the river's edge with minor injuries. A Google search will give you more details than you thought possible or necessary.I am not a thrill-seeker, extreme sport girl, or a motorcycle rider. But I vaguely remember this event and couldn't pass the chance to see what I could see. It was a lovely day for a hike.

3 comments:

  1. I remember this! Shows you how old I am.....thanks for the memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. A easy hike through scenic country is my kind of day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Bobbi! We in the 'hood built bike ramps when this happened. I think it was on pay per view, in theaters! He was a campy showman but Evel Knievel was a comic book like hero growing up. I appreciate seeing the "now" photos.

    BTW, I think EK and Bob Truax had the chute open on purpose, but that's just my conspiracy ideas getting the best of me.

    ReplyDelete