Tuesday, July 12, 2011

#283 Square

Last year I built two SQUARE-foot garden boxes and had some success with the vegetables.This is what it looked like this spring before I attacked the grass, which was not supposed to be a problem. My neighbor informed me that the "quack" grass will grow through cement. My little effort at ground cloth is laughable to this formidable plant.
This is today. Tomatoes, broccoli, peas, cucumbers, squash, and GRASS are doing well. Must devote some quality time to weeding, my least favorite activity. Weeding aside, I like the square-foot garden concept. The book is by Mel Bartholomew.

7 comments:

  1. I hate weeding too. Nice job on your crop (even the crop of grass)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeding.....ugh!! Still, your crop looks devine and the weeding job probably manageable in your smallish area. How big are the boxes (length?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have a quack grass problem. The white segmented root that breaks easy and produces more offshoots is driving me crazy! I never was an herbicide fan but I've resorted to using it since I don't grow edibles. It's frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the before and after pice. square foot gardening is the way to go and through the growing season with all the plants packed in so close there can't be too many weeds to pull.
    I always pull after a good rain, it is therapeutic to get the weed and root!

    someone once said a weed is only a plant growing where it isn't wanted:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quack grass is the worst..about the only easy solution is a bit of Round-up dabbed on with a cloth. Other weeds without runners are so much easier to deal with. I put the sunken edging around my big gardens and that keeps most of it out now but for small problem areas I do the above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice before and after of your square foot garden. So many good veggies in a small area. The Round-up dabbed on with a cloth is a trick I have never tried, but will now that it has come to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the after picture of your squares...have any veggies to spare?? :)

    ReplyDelete