Friday, July 15, 2011

#65 Cupcakes

Idaho Falls has at least three establishments where you can get gourmet cupcakes. I wanted to check them out and see what the hub-bub was all about. Glad that's over with.
The first store had lots of things besides pastries. Pretty, but I didn't purchase one.

At the second store, this is affectionally known as the "BTS" cupcake (Better Than Sex), I wasn't impressed and would argue the point, even though I like chocolate and, sometimes, caramel.
At the third store I bought this lemon/blueberry with cream cheese frosting. Also not impressed. After googling "butter cream frosting" I know why. The REAL butter cream frosting is too expensive for most people. The cupcakes cost $2+ as it is. I can't imagine the cost if the frosting was REAL butter cream. Maybe my taste buds are jaded or my age is showing but I can do better with a box of Betty Crocker cake mix and homemade frosting (butter, powdered sugar, a T or two of milk and cocoa - I only make cocoa frosting - never buy frosting in a tub at the store). Even my husband, "The Sweet Tooth Pastor," said I didn't have to buy any more on his account.
I know, I know. Gourmet cupcakes are way cool. You can have mine (and pay for it, too). The calories aren't worth it.
Sorry for the rant but I was very disappointed!

6 comments:

  1. Wouldn't last a minute around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have me craving cupcakes at 8 AM....thanks... (haha)

    That top one looks pretty tasty! Sorry the flavors didn't pan out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the lemon blueberry one...OMGosh does that look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real butter cream is amazing. There are a lot of stores in NYC that sell them - they are incredibly caloric and expensive...but delicious! I'd say that fake butter cream is definitely not BTS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $2 for 1 cupcake! I need to crank up the oven and open a cupcake stand. they do look tasty can't decide which I'd like better so I'll take them both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer brownies myself . . . the heavy fudge kind with cocoa frosting.

    ReplyDelete