Sunday, February 27, 2011

#121 Fruit

In front of the Saddle Mountains on the Columbia River, this cold storage building (in white) keeps the apples until they can be distributed to markets. The stack of empty apple bins (in brown) wait until fall harvest when they are distributed to the area orchards. I am always amazed at this sight - so much abundance! I think the young trees in the foreground are exotic fruit - kiwi, gingko, or maybe just more apples - or cherries. The owner likes to experiment and expand his options and I forgot to ask.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful composition on this one. We lived for 20 years in the Portland area, so pictures from the Columbia Gorge area are always so appealing to me. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, This location is a two-hour drive north of the Columbia Gorge in Central Washington. Twenty miles south of I-90 to be exact. I also enjoy that I-84 drive along the Columbia River/Oregon-Washington border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the composition and the colors of the mountains against the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this...now this is a view!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Saddle Mountains and how they rise over the Columbia River. You are but a stone's throw from my town, if you can throw a stone 200 miles. I appreciate these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have said this before but, you have a great eye for composition. The soft blue/grey color cast of the mountain compliments the storage depot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is also interesting; I know it from northern Italy, where apples are produced in lange quantity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see where some of our apples may come from...love to see the mountains in the background too.

    ReplyDelete